Case Study: Hungry Jack’s National WiFi roll-out
Hungry Jack’s® is a franchise of the international Burger King Corporation and has operated in Australia since 1971.
The first store opened in Innaloo, a suburb of Perth, on the 18th of April 1971. Today, long after that first store opened, Hungry Jack’s is in every state in Australia with over 340 stores, 900 managers and over 18,000 crew members to run the day-to-day operations.
Hungry Jack’s has become an iconic Australian brand, delivering quality products within the Quick Service Restaurant industry. A clear and consistent delivery of their corporate promise – Hungry Jack’s Makes It Better – has created a strong and well-loved brand in Australia.
Hungry Jack’s needs to grow revenues while getting a better understanding of its customer demographics eventually decreasing waiting times for its customers. Deploying a WiFi network nationally throughout its 340+ stores would move it closer to being able to deliver their objectives.
The Wireless Infrastructure was developed as part of a $6m networking and telecommunications contract with Primus Australia. Primus worked with a number of vendors noted for their pioneering work in the WLAN and data security spaces to deploy the WiFi solution for Hungry Jack’s, including Emerging Systems, Aruba Networks and Check Point Software Technologies. The new wireless LAN platform is being billed as the only wireless LAN platform with integrated application intelligence and controls to optimise application delivery and therefore, increased performance.
Based on Hungry Jack’s marketing and business requirements, Emerging Systems designed, built, staged and project managed roll out and customisation of Amigopod/ Clear Pass guest portal for Guest registration & staff access.
Emerging Systems deployed the service and has an ongoing maintenance and support contract for the system at 360 Australian Hungry Jack’s Stores. Emerging Systems also provided internal training for Hungry Jack’s personnel in the ClearPass Guest Portal.
This project was seen as a source of competitive advantage through:
- Increased in-store traffic volume (offering customers 30 minute sessions of free WiFi access and 100mB download per visit). Busiest store currently averages close to 300 sessions per day.
- In an effort to improve the experience for customers on the hotspots, each store's wireless connection is limited to 20 simultaneous users evenly distributed to maximise bandwidth over the ADSL connection.
- Analyse customer usage patterns so Hungry Jack’s can develop effective niche marketing campaigns. Business intelligence data collection and reporting to match and deliver dynamic marketing content aimed at a targeted demographic.
- Increased ROI on marketing spend - Delivers targeted messaging, advertising or multimedia content to in-store customers via Images, YouTube videos, Text (Web / SMS), Flash and Raw HTML.
- Full campaign management to easily deploy digital targeted marketing campaigns and detailed reporting (i.e. number of impressions by month, year, age, gender etc).
- Grow Hungry Jack’s corporate and franchisee revenues.
Future plans for Hungry Jack’s include pre-ordering while in line and the ability for customers to collect the order by the time they get to the counter by swiping or scanning the order from their selected device.
According to Hungry Jack’s National IT Manager Joey Butler, the WiFi solution embodies Hungry Jack’s motto of “makes it better”.
Products and Services Used
After researching multiple WiFi vendors in the marketplace Emerging Systems chose Aruba Networks based on the Amigopod/ClearPass Guest & Policy Manager device, the 3600 mobility controller in an HA configuration with AP93 access points at each of the 360 sites around Australia. Emerging also chose Check Point to deliver stateful packet inspection and URL filtering. Emerging designed, configured, integrated and built the “free public WiFi network” and provides maintenance and support services while generating monthly reporting on WiFi usage statistics.
Services provided by other groups or companies
Primus worked with a number of vendors noted for their pioneering work in the WLAN and data security spaces to deploy the WiFi solution for Hungry Jack’s, including Emerging Systems, Aruba Networks and Check Point Software Technologies.